Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HAPPY LEAP DAY!

Today is Leap Day, February 29, 2012.  Thinking I might do something new and exciting since this day only comes around once in four years. 

When I first learned about Leap Day, it intriqued me. How could it be that these smart adults in my life needed to periodically correct the calendar by adding another day?  That was the beginning of my understanding that the adults in my life didn't know everything (smile). 

For anyone celebrating a birthday today, enjoy yourself cause your special day only happens once in four years. Seems someone could had adjusted the calendar that we use by elminating the months that have 31 days?  But no, someone had the bright idea to just change the calendar once every four years...go figure.

When I started seriously studying astrology, the astrological calendar made more sense to me.  I discovered that the planets move in a systematic way and each cycle can be predicted long before it takes place.  You can go ahead in time or back in time and still Saturn is going to take 29 and a half days to circle the Zodiac. 

So since today is Leap Day, let's examine the potential for this special day.  Long ago a tradition was started where women proposed to men during a Leap Year.  When I was a child we would go to the Sadie Hawkins Dance where the girls could ask the boys to dance.  I was too shy to approach a boy so I spent my time on the sidelines watching others.  Later in life I discovered that the reason why I didn't want to approach a boy was because I had abandonment issues.  It was the fear of rejection that made  me feel safe on the sidelines. 

So what will you do today, and how do you intend to use your Leap Year?  Is there someone in your life that you want to be closer?  Do you have the courage to get past the fear of rejection to ask someone to marry you?  Well men do it all the time. They are socialized to make the first steps and to take a chance on being rejected.  However, for all the women out there, this is our year to throw caution to the winds and to change the paradigm.

Neurologists who study Alzheimer's Disease, tell us that in order to prevent it, we should get out of our ruts and learn something new.  When we learn something new we create a new groove in our brain.  In fact Alzheimer's is often described as "plaque on the brain".  People who age gracefully and who seem to mentally sharp are people who are always learning something new. 

So my suggestion is that you do something a different way today. If there's no possibility of asking someone to marry you, you could try a new food, or travel to work a new way, or adopt a new mantra or affirmation, or read a new book.   Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's enjoyable.  Some of us need to laugh more and not be so serious about everything.  It's all good.  Enjoy this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you.